Monday, December 14, 2009

Big Scare


The past week went well right up until the end.

Both girls are growing. Abbi weighs 24.8 and Alli is almost 30 pounds. They are getting their "Big Girl" ears and look more like Irish Setters than red Golden Retrievers.

They still curl up together, but they like their alone time, too.


The Christmas tree went up in the family room...No ornaments of course, but lots of lights. I trimmed the tree with one of those bitter sprays made with Rosemary. It's suppose to discourage tasting, but so far the only one who seems affected by it is me. I apply it, the dogs check it out, I pet them...Then a half hour later
when I go to remove a dog hair from my lips, I get a nasty dose of bitter yuck in MY mouth.

Nasty weather was a surprising AID to housetraining. Both girls were a little more focused about the reason to be outside when they were being pelted with icy cold raindrops on a windy night.

No, it was all going well...Until it wasn't...

Both girls seemed to nap a little more than usual on Thursday and Friday. I figured they were due for a growth spurt and I figure that can take a lot out of a pup, so I didn't think much of their quiet demeanor.

But on Saturday, Abbi seemed down...lethargic even. I was concerned, but her appetite was good and her bodily functions normal so I just watched her and cuddled her.

Sunday, Abbi was not doing better. I noticed she wasn't closing her mouth all the way and when I tried to inspect, she cried out in pain. Her breath smelled like an infection. I took her to the emergency vet immediately and to my alarm, the vet on duty immediately admitted her to the doggy ICU, and quarantined her as well.

Sunday was a horrible day.

The updates were hopeful, but lacking in specifics. Neither Alli nor I slept well last night. I was worried and Alli was anxious about spending the night alone for the first time in her life.

And now a new week begins with the happy news that Abbi can come home this afternoon.

The Vets decided she has "puppy strangles." I have been googling and it sounds like a temporary immune disorder. The pain comes from enlarged lymph nodes in her neck. I've had dogs all my life and never heard of this disease.

Time to learn more...

4:30 pm
Abbi is home safe and comfy. She is being treated for an upper respiratory infection and after trying to get comfy on the chair and then the sofa, she finally decided on her crate. Alli and I are playing fetch while Abbi naps.


No comments:

Post a Comment